- All my life I thought I knew what a Kabab was... skewered meat - sometimes alternating with vegetables... but little did I know - there is a whole world of Kababs
- In the heart of the trendy/expensive La Kwai Fong you can find cheap yet delicious Kababs at Ebeneezer Kabab
- They're like an Australian/Turkish burrito (spoken like a true Texan)
Monday, June 29, 2009
Saturday, June 27, 2009
- Had our first Hong Kong Typhoon Warning while at work on Friday.
- Apparently they're very common here and can get pretty bad. But our warning was only between T1-3. - so not a big deal.
- We ended up ignoring the bad weather and went out for a lovely dinner at Tru with a friend from Austin.. then out drinking with coworkers at Lotus and Feather Boa (which is a quaint hidden french bar - famous for it's frozen chocolate/strawberry daiquiris) Yummy.
Thursday, June 25, 2009
- After work Wednesday Chris and I joined Keith for the last horse race of the season at the Hong Kong Jockey Club.
- It was so much fun, we lost a bit of money (but it was HK money... so 7hk:1us... not too bad)... And i realized the small expat crowd (all the english speakers) is really just a big frat party.
Wednesday, June 24, 2009
- Guilin is known for it's unique scenery that has inspired artists for centuries. - Think ancient vertical silk screens... those mountains that seem so steep, stacked, and lush... well, they're real.
- When you visit Guilin you must do two things:
- 1. boat along the Li Jiang River (preferably a Bamboo raft - the big boats go further but are less interesting)
- 2. bike though the country side (in our case - electric... which i STRONGLY recommend - it's beautiful, but hot and far)
- We stayed a night in Guilin and the next night in Yangshuo - the small town down the river... a tourist trap, but quaint none-the-less.
- Also we visited the Water Cave in Yangshuo... which was by far the coolest cave I've been to. HUGE and completely dark (none of that artificial "disneyland-like" lights that most cave use) - oh and the mud pools and natural hot springs baths were pretty cool too ;)
- BIG SHOUT OUT to our two new travel Companions Loer and Zach... without Loer's chinese skills and social-butterfly personality we A) would have been lost where no one speaks English and B) would have been ripped off at every turn.
Wednesday, June 17, 2009
- We went up to The Peak for sunset after work Wednesday... it was the clearest day in two weeks (rain and pollution usually make it hard to see). Gorgeous sunset with perfect warm and windy weather.
- And a nice couple sitting next to us gave Chris a Cuban cigar... for free.
Tuesday, June 16, 2009
Monday, June 15, 2009
- All yellow and white... and yummy. - Chicken Indian Yellow Curry and Mango Sticky Rice from Thai Farmer Restaurant (98 Lockhart Road, WanChai).
- This cozy hole in the wall restaurant is located in the middle of the "seedy" street, nestled between two strip bars... however I think is the best food in Hong Kong.